This was a busy week in the world of pop culture, news and politics. Want to know what everyone will be talking about over their pumpkin pancakes this weekend? From our new favorite doppelganger to why you should eat cookies over vegetables, here is your weekly TAKE FIVE.
1. Reason #2937203 Jennifer Lawrence is the best. From casually falling up the Oscar stairs to talking about her love for food any chance she gets, there are a million reasons why Jennifer Lawrence is simply the best. The latest? Her poignant open letter on the gender pay gap. Sure, Jennifer realizes she is talking about a lot of millions versus mega millions (a first world problem 99.9 percent of us will never truly understand). But her point is universal—too often women are afraid to sacrifice being liked in exchange for getting what they deserve. Her letter is smart, refreshingly honesty with a dose of Jennifer humor. All we can say is: J.Law 2016.
2. Why your diet of Oreos dipped in peanut butter are better for you than spinach. Remember that time you decided to be healthy and ordered a spinach salad instead of half of the Chipotle menu? Well, that could have been a big mistake. Dole Fresh Vegetables just recalled bags of spinach distributed in 13 states citing a possible salmonella contamination. So I guess it’s time to go back to getting your daily vegetable intake through sweet potato fries and guacamole!
3. “Just for the articles” is a real thing now. The pioneer of the nude pic, Playboy, announced this week that their redesign will no longer include nude photos of women. Now you don’t have to argue with your boyfriend when he says he gets the magazine “just for the articles.”
4. You think your family is messed up… A New York woman is sued her 12-year-old nephew for $127,000 after he enthusiastically hugged her and she was left with a broken wrist. I have a couple questions. First of all, what? Second of all, how less crazy does your aunt with six cats who clips coupons and loves kissing you on the mouth seem? And finally, if a 12-year-old has that type of cash saved up from his allowance, how does one get adopted? (Asking for a friend…)
5. #DemDebate. The first Democratic debate took place this week in Vegas. And regardless of your political beliefs the one thing I think we can all agree on is “Bernie Sanders—Cutest Old Guy/Larry David doppelganger 2016.”