From using it to make pancakes to adding it to salad dressings, coconut oil is known to be an incredibly versatile item to have in your kitchen. But have you ever used it on your body? Our pantries are typically filled with ingredients that have many alternative uses beyond cooking (think using baking soda as toothpaste or making a face mask out of honey), but if you’re like me, you may have been too scared to give them a try. That’s until I tried using coconut oil in my beauty routine.
Once when I was desperate to wash my face and ran out of my favorite cleanser, I used coconut oil as an alternative to soap. I have combination skin, which means using the wrong product will typically create a major breakout. I was skeptical at first. To my utter surprise, the coconut oil seemed to thoroughly remove the dirt and makeup on my face completely. I went to bed prepared to wake up with full-on acne, but no damage was done—my skin felt moisturized and clean.
Because of this great experience, I decided to try coconut oil in other areas of my regimen. Using it would not only save me money because I’d be buying fewer products, but it would also reduce the number of toxins and unknown ingredients I put in my body. I experimented massaging a coconut oil, egg, and honey mixture on my hair and using it as a deep-conditioning treatment for my ends. After my second successful time swapping coconut oil into my beauty routine, I was totally hooked.
What else could I do with this product, I wondered? Here’s a comprehensive list of even more ways you could incorporate coconut oil into your daily routine:
- Strengthen your nails: According to Byrdie, you should massage coconut oil into your cuticles two to four times a week for maximum benefits.
- Make a brow tint: It’s as easy as blending the oil with a matte eye shadow in the color of your choice.
- Treat your scalp: Cover your head in coconut oil and let it soak for a few hours—it will add serious moisture.
- Exfoliate your body: Combine coconut oil with organic sugar for an effective head-to-toe scrub.
- Brush your teeth: Mix equal parts baking soda and oil for an all-natural toothpaste alternative.
- Replace your shaving cream: Looking to go hair-free? Slather this on for a smooth shave.
- Use it as an eye cream: Gently dab it under your eyes to add moisture.
- Create a lip stain: According to Well+Good, Olivia Culpo swears by this easy hack—just mix lip liner and coconut oil together for a stain that’ll last all day.
- Repel insects: Combine your coconut oil with a couple drops of peppermint oil for a moisturizing (and chemical-free!) bug-repellant.
- Clean your makeup brushes: Dip your brushes into melted oil, brush off the excess product, and rinse them clean.
- Replace your lotion: Simply slather it on your skin in place of your usual moisturizer.
- Use it as lip balm: The fatty acids in coconut oil are perfect for locking moisture in.
- Practice oil pulling: Swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. According to Byrdie, it cuts through plaque and helps eliminate bacteria.
- Add it in soap: Coconut oil may not kill bacteria on its own, but combined with soap, it’s the perfect way to keep your hands soft while you cleanse.
- Highlight your cheekbones: Add it on top of your makeup to give your skin an extra glow.
Do you use coconut oil in your beauty routine? Let us know in the comments below!
Featured photo by Anna Coke