Whether you are a freshman in college or the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, everyone has people they look up to. Some they may know intimately; others they may only know through admiration of their accomplishments. But having role models and sources of inspiration are important to achieving success in our own personal and professional lives.
In honor of Women’s Entrepreneurship Day, we decided to ask our very own resident female entrepreneur—CollegeFashionista’s Founder, Amy Levin—to discuss the five women that inspire her daily life.
1. Rebecca Minkoff, Designer. My interactions with Rebecca are countless. She has that “best friend” vibe to her that makes her easy to talk to and instantly approachable. I have probably asked her 10 times how she juggles being a designer, mom and wife while making it look so perfect and easy. I am a huge fan of her empire and am inspired by everything she is doing to innovate the fashion space.
2. Kerry Diamond, Co-Founder and Editorial Director of Cherry Bombe and Restaurateur. This girl is one powerhouse. I had the opportunity to meet her over tea at Ladurée in SoHo and was totally in awe the whole time. She is super chic, has a downright cool aura and is whip smart to boot!
3. Joanna Coles, Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan. Interviewing Joanna Coles side-by-side on my couch in my TriBeCa apartment was definitely a highlight of 2015. This British-born magazine maven is someone I respect infinitely. She is one of those people who you feel their presence when they are in the room in the best way possible. The phrases “hard working” and “genuinely interested in others” sum up my feelings for this industry icon.
4. Dany Levy, DailyCandy Founder. I have idolized Dan since day one of launching CollegeFashionista.com. She was at the forefront of digital media and daily newsletters with her brand, DailyCandy. Dany started something from nothing (which is not easy, folks). I met this petite, soft-spoken entrepreneur in the West Village and could have asked her questions for hours. She entertained my curiosity and is someone who should be complimented endlessly for what she created.
5. Brenda Levin, My Mom. She defines the word “confident” to me. She doesn’t care what fashion label she is wearing, what the newest designer handbag is or what other people are doing. She is happy with her life, her choices and care most about her family (and our dogs). In a world where everyone is trying to hold onto their youth, she gracefully lives at her age with content. (Which may the secret to aging as she is a natural beauty.) I aspire to be like her daily.