At last, summer ’17 is upon us. It’s adventure season, baby! I am currently having the time of my life exploring Portugal and feeling beyond blessed. Here are the 10 things I couldn’t survive without while traveling:
- Backpack: I had to start with this one, because it’s where I stash all nine other items. As much as I would love to carry a designer tote around at all times, this list is just too long, and the items are just too bulky for any other bag. Remember: practicality is key. While traveling, my Herschel backpack is a must. Not only is it spacious and comfortable, it’s also pretty rad and matches just about everything.
- Refillable Water Bottle: First of all, it is incredibly expensive to continuously buy water bottles, and as a college student, I’m balling on a budget. Secondly, a day of walking up cobblestone streets and drinking wine will take it out of you, but having a bottle at all times will remind you to keep sipping on the good stuff—H2O. Lastly, I would like to encourage everyone to buy a reusable water bottle for the sake of our environment.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen wears off throughout the day. Keeping a travel-sized moisturizer with SPF will not only protect your skin from the harsh UV rays in a foreign land, but from the sunglass-shaped sunburn that will permanently mark you as a tourist.
- Face wipes/spray: This is an item on the list my family always makes fun of me for, but my I prefer that my face stay clean and refreshed all day. My personal favorite is Breath of Fresh Air by Lush, because who doesn’t love a good spritz of grapefruit and tea tree water amidst a long day of adventure.
- Journal and pens: This is a must. Regardless of where I am, I always keep a journal handy. It’s where I jot down ideas, frustrations, dreams, aspirations, etc. My fellow writers, you understand the release that is journaling. For traveling, it is the perfect way to pass the time on a plane or train. If you don’t journal, I would highly suggest starting one on your next trip. There is nothing like sitting down with a coffee and delving into some introspective thought, whether it be at a local Starbucks or a cafe in Europe. I can hear the accordion in the background now…
- Sunglasses: If you know me, then you know I don’t go ANYWHERE without my sunglasses. They’re like my own little shield from the sun, as well as the rest of the world. I tend to buy ones big enough to cover my eyebrows so I can throw them on and forget about makeup if need be.
- Books: My favorite escape. A few of my favorite reads right now are:
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
- Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
- Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
8. Headphones: Because you never know when you’re going to need the sweet sound of Justin Bieber singing “Despacito” in your ears.
9. A Passport Copy: Better safe than sorry.
10. Camera: Like my attitude, my cameras come just about everywhere I do. I usually bring along my Canon 70D DSLR, my Gopro, and some disposables. For anyone looking to get into photography, my biggest tip would be to bring a camera EVERYWHERE. It may seem like a hassle at first but you miss all the shots you don’t take, and that is what item number one is for.
What can you not travel without? Share in the comments below and tag @cfashionista in your abroad posts!