When I have a busy day ahead, I don’t want anything to keep me from tackling my to-do list. But, as someone who struggles with tension-related migraines and relies solely on caffeine to function, I’ve always wondered what natural remedies I could use instead. After discovering essential oils, my daily tasks have surprisingly become much less of a chore. To find out why, I reached out to Alexandra Street, an essential-oils lover and expert who sells and uses the concoctions herself. If you’re looking for a natural cure for a certain ailment, you just might find relief with one of these oils.
I want to try essential oils. How do I get started?
It’s pretty easy to introduce essential oils into your routine; Alexandra gave me some insight on how to start. Oils can be applied to the bottom of the feet, taken orally (using capsules for digestion), topically (massaging into the temples or neck), or in a diffuser that emits the vapor while you sleep or work. If you plan on creating your own blend of oils, Byrdie recommends diluting them with a carrier oil, like a sweet almond or sunflower seed oil as they are super concentrated on their own. Ready to find out more about essential oils? Keep reading to find out which oils and blends will work best for your needs.
To Stay Focused: Herbal
Studying for exams is exhausting, and it’s easy to get sidetracked. Try using oils with herbal notes for extra concentration.
- Brain Benefit Essential Oil Blend ($6): This focus-boosting blend features rosemary, which, according to MyDomaine, has been found to help with memory. Put a few drops of this bright aroma into your diffuser for some natural studying help.
- HoMedics Pay Attention Roll-on Essential Oil ($20): Peppermint oil is a key ingredient in this formula, which “Is helpful when it comes to sustained attention tasks,” according to MyDomaine. Breathe this in when you need a serious focus boost.
- NOW Frankincense Essential Oil Blend ($10): Dr. Axe explains that inhaling the scent of frankincense can reduce heart rate and high blood pressure. The oil has also shown anti-anxiety capabilities as well, which can be helpful when tackling those midterms.
- Nature’s Truth Focus Essential Oil Roll-On Blend ($7): This product features lemon oil, which has been found to “Improve cognitive function in a group of Alzheimer’s patients,” according to MyDomaine. Combined with rosemary and peppermint, this can seriously aid in productivity.
To Conquer Midweek Stress: Citrus
Juggling a full schedule while leaving time for extracurriculars, workouts, and friends can be a daunting task. Avoid a mental overload with these brightly scented oils.
- Thrive Market Lemon Organic Essential Oil ($6): Alexandra recommends this tangy scent for relieving built-up tension. Well + Good says it’s been shown to boost mood, so try this citrus when you’re feeling down.
- Aromasource Stress Relief Organic Roll-on Essential Oil ($13): Natural Living Ideas explains that the “Anti-depressive and anxiolytic properties of orange essential oil can act as an instant pick-me-up.” Put a few drops into your diffuser to release your worries and instill calmness.
- Balance Essential Oil Blend ($22): Along with lemon and orange, this formula contains lavender and rose as well—a combination that, according to Well+Good, “Instantly cultivates a sense of calm and grace.” So sit back, relax, and take in this tranquil scent.
- Edens Garden Stress Relief Synergy Blend Essential Oil ($13): Looking for some serious chill? This blend contains a mixture of ylang ylang and patchouli in addition to sweet orange, which Well + Good explains is “Very much a yin-yang mix and will cultivate a good balance for body and mind.”
To Wake You Up: Peppermint
I am the first to admit to my caffeine addiction, but it definitely creates more problems than it solves. Thankfully, the use of peppermint oil can perk you up without the use of coffee.
- ScentSationals Peppermint Essential Oil ($3): Byrdie states that this scent is associated with “recall as well as sustained focus.” Spritz yourself with an peppermint oil-infused face mist to help you stay alert and prepared to take on the day.
- TwigPetalEssentials Headache Relief Organic Essential Oils Roller ($27): The Thirty suggests using a both peppermint and eucalyptus together because they “because they help promote deep breathing, which in turn oxygenates the brain and paves the way for an increase in alertness.” Get your energy up with this vibrant combination.
- Simply Earth Energy Essential Oil Blend ($10): According to The Thirty, “Citrus essential oils have a beautiful effect on our energy levels by stimulating the area of the brain that promotes happiness and encouraging an uplifting feeling.” With lemon, eucalyptus, and peppermint, this combination is sure to invigorate your senses.
- Rocky Mountain Oils Revitalize Essential Oils Blend ($25): MindBodyGreen explains that the citrus oils in this formula Ccontain monoterpenes capable of stimulating the mind and body.” With orange, lemon, and refreshing peppermint, a quick breath of this will give your energy a boost.
To Fight a Sickness: Cinnamon
You know how it goes: one of your friends get sick and then you catch it too. If you’re in search of a more natural cure, essential oils with cinnamon can help.
- Doterra OnGuard Protective Blend ($43): “In aromatherapy, cinnamon essential oil can be used to help clear up chest colds,” writes Well + Good. If you’re feeling under the weather, break out your diffuser for the maximum healing benefits of this orange peel and cinnamon leaf mixture.
- HoMedics Fight It Essential Oil ($20): EuroSpa explains that eucalyptus oil “Cleanses your body of toxins and harmful microorganisms that can make you feel sick.” Combined with orange peel, rosemary, and cinnamon, this blend is a refreshing way to fight germs.
- Edens Garden Fighting Five ($7): According to Byrdie, the antiseptic, antibacterial, and decongestant properties of this rosemary, orange, and cinnamon mixture can boost your immune system.
- Rocky Mountain Oils The Secret Essential Oil Blend ($30): With cinnamon bark and lemon, you can reap the antibacterial benefits of this oil to fight any oncoming illnesses, according to Well + Good.
To Sleep Soundly: Lavender
Dreaming of a good night’s sleep? If you’re sick of counting sheep, make use of these gentle oils and finally catch some z’s.
- Nature’s Truth Lavender Aromatherapy Essential Oil ($5): According to Byrdie, lavender oil proves to lower anxiety levels and promote a deeper slumber. Take a whiff of it or spritz it lightly onto your pillow for a good night’s sleep.
- Created Essentials Sweet Slumber Essential Oil Blend ($10): If you’re having trouble falling asleep, this blend can help. Well + Good explains that the roman chamomile mixed with lavender can “counteracts that anxious feeling that happens when you’re not sleeping,” leaving you to peacefully drift into your dreams.
- Doterra Restful Blend ($40): MindBodyGreen explains that the vetiver root in this combination of oils can promote restful sleep. Mixed with lavender, you’ll have no problem getting your full eight hours.
- Edens Garden Dreamtime Essential Oil Blend ($21): This ylang-ylang lavender blend contains sedative effects that will to help you fall asleep faster, according to Byrdie. Mix it with your moisturizing cream to create a calming lotion.
What essential oils are you using? Tell us your favorites in the comments below!