I don’t know about you, but during the colder months I tend to stick to more neutral palettes with my makeup. The cool taupes and beiges really echo my mood come January and February.
But now that the weather has gotten warmer, the sun is (sometimes) shining and the flowers have bloomed, I have a bounce in my step and a splash of color on my lip. Playing with your lip color is an easy and inexpensive way to have fun, show some personality and experiment a little. Here are five lip colors we are obsessing over for summer—and how to wear them in style! Shop these colors and more in our “Shop The Look” section as well!
1. Coral red: Is it red or is it coral? Well it is neither (or both)—the go-to color this summer for lips is coral red. That beautiful red/orange/peachy color is flattering on just about anyone and really brightens up any look. Throw on your favorite panama hat and a silky black tank and you are ready for a perfect summer day. Our favorite coral red: Rouge Égérie by Givenchy.
2. Hot pink: The revival of the ’90s brings with it the reintroduction of the shocking pink lip. When wearing this color, try to keep your outfit more modern so the look is more fresh than dated. Our favorite hot pink lip color: Priscilla by NARS.
3. Violet: Red is not the only color to do when wanting to wear a statement lip. Inspired by the season, opt for a shade of violet. Given that the color is rich and intense, opt to keep the rest of your look on the simpler side, such as skinny jeans and a leather jacket. Our favorite hot pink lip color: Heroine by MAC Cosmetics.
4. Nude: With a nice glow to your skin, structured eyebrows and a topknot, nothing looks better than a glossy nude lip. Don’t be fulled—there is a lot of thought that goes into a perfectly executed nude lip. First step—find the perfect nude for you. Our favorite nude lip color: Exposed Tarte LipSurgence Matte Lip Tint.
5. Dark berry: Even though it may warm out, doesn’t mean you have to ditch your dark side completely. A deep berry is a seasonally appropriate away to still rock a dramatic, dark lip. Try pairing it with an oversized white sweater to balance out the severity of the lip color. Our favorite dark berry: Black Honey by Clinique.
What is your favorite lip color for summer? Be sure to show us on social media by using the hashtag #collegefashionista!