Who wears short shorts…In December? I do! Usually when I tell people this, the reactions range from “Girl are you crazy?” to “Your funeral.” Truth is, pants and boots are the typical one-outfit-fits-all for New England winters. But when paired properly, shorts can be a great alternative to get you out of that winter slump.
If you've been reading my posts this semester, you know how much I love to rock summer clothes through the wintertime. Shorts and tights are one of my favorite things to wear during this time of year and something tells me this Fashionista feels the same way. This tall drink of water loves to show off her long gams with her short shorts on the occasional December day above 40 degrees. She paired her black cotton shorts with black tights and simple black flats. For a similar look, try these Culotte Shorts from Topshop. She also added a hint of color with her forest green tank and long green statement earrings.
Here are a couple of tips for wearing shorts in the winter:
1. Do not wear your light wash distressed Daisy Dukes in December. If you want to wear denim shorts, go for these Dark Wash High-Waisted Jean Cuff Shorts from American Apparel.
2. It's important to invest in a good pair of tights. While those $3 tights from the drug store will work for a couple of hours, don't be surprised if you have runs in them by day two. DKNY makes great tights for any size and shape.
3. Don't be afraid to experiment with patterns. Geometric printed shorts are great for a more put together look whether you're headed to work or to a holiday party.
4. Stay warm with over-the-knee socks and a pair of high boots. Opt for these warm Chain-Link Solid Thigh-High Socks from American Apparel.
5. Experiment with fabrics too! For a grungier look, try leather shorts like these Quilted Patent Leather Shorts by Karl by Karl Lagerfeld. Tuck a distressed T-shirt into them, slip on a pair of booties and you're ready when your favorite band is in town.