“Final Four baby!” Those were the words I kept hearing as I walked home from watching Michigan throttle Florida in Sunday’s Elite Eight game. The air was alive with excitement – cabs were honking, students were cheering and “Hail to the Victors” was playing from every storefront. Michigan is primarily a football school, so the last time we progressed this far into March Madness was 20 years ago, with the Fab Five. I, personally, am SO excited that we have been doing so well—a few friends and I purchased season tickets this year, so it has been really fun for me to go to all the games and see the team grow and succeed.
Some people seem surprised when I tell them that I am actually into sports. Obviously, as a Style Guru, I am very interested in fashion, and many people think that sports and fashion don’t have much overlap. This is not true at all, however; for me, supporting my school is just another way to express my style! For my game day outfit, I chose my adorable “Mich” tank, and paired it with some crisp white jeans to elevate the look. Accessories, such as the maize bow and the pearls, lent my outfit a fun, preppy vibe that was not too fancy. Also, recent weather has been relatively warm, but in Michigan, that can change at the drop of a hat. Just in case, I brought along a striped rugby shirt, choosing one in maize and blue to make sure that no one could ever mistake me for (gasp!) a Buckeye. I am so excited to watch Michigan in the Final Four next week, and I will be sure to look stylish while doing so. Congrats Michigan, and GO BLUE!
Besides the basketball team, here are five things that I love about Michigan:
- Football Saturdays: As the saying goes at Michigan, Saturday morning is the best night of the week! Before every home game, thousands of students and fans wake up early to tailgate, party and cheer on their Wolverines!
- Good Time Charley’s: An Ann Arbor institution since 1979, Charley’s has delicious food, fun ambiance and amazing game day specials, making it THE place to go to watch the big game.
- The Diag: The center of campus is a beautiful open space with many diagonal paths, colloquially known as “the diag.” Legend says that any Michigan student who steps on the block M in the center of the diag will fail their next blue book exam, so make sure to walk around!
- Main Street: Main Street has many things to offer students, from fun bars to amazing art galleries. But my favorite part would have to be their many delicious brunch restaurants.
- Michigan Stadium: “The Big House”, as it is called, is the largest stadium in the United States, and has a record attendance of 114,804 people. My favorite part, though, is walking up to the stadium and seeing the gigantic “M” sign on the horizon. It makes me so proud to be a Michigan Wolverine!