One thing I’d never describe myself as is a sports fan. I may follow athletes such as Amar’e Stoudemire and Dwayne Wade on Instagram religiously, but that’s hardly because of their basketball (or is it soccer?) abilities—it’s because of their impeccable fashion taste. I would however, describe myself as a KU basketball fan. There’s something about it that even a girl such as myself is drawn to. Maybe it’s because our players are just as stylish as Stoudemire and Wade that makes it so enjoyable. That, or maybe it’s because we’re pretty good at it.
To celebrate March Madness fashionably, I knew I had to wear my favorite KU top, my F.O.E. shirt. (F.O.E. is a KU basketball term which stands for family over everything.) Rather than just wearing the T-shirt with sneakers and shorts, I wanted to spice it up. I did so by pairing my school spirited shirt with some destroyed boyfriend jeans and a black oversized jean jacket. I accessorized with black heeled sandals, gold rings and a black and silver cross-body bag. In order to keep my school spirit stylish, I think of it as just another outfit, only with crimson and blue as a major must.
Besides being historically magnificent at basketball, my five favorite things about KU are as follows:
- Our school colors: I feel sympathy for other colleges whose game days are centered around colors such as purple or orange. Crimson and blue are so often found together in clothing, which makes game days that much more fun (and stylish).
- Massachusetts Street: Better known as Mass, the idyllic street made up of picturesque shops, cafes and bars all dedicated to KU school spirit is definitely the heart of Lawrence.
- Wheel Pizza: The go-to late night indulgence is key for weekends and fuel for day long game days. With it’s charming employees and delicious pizza, the Wheel will forever be apart of KU history.
- Game days: Even with a not so great football track record, KU knows how to have great fun year round. Whether it’s fall, spring or winter, both football and basketball seasons provide day long fun with friends.
- Allen Fieldhouse: KU’s basketball arena is the home to endless amounts of NCAA history. It’s where every home game isn’t just a game, but the experience of a lifetime.