Growing up with three brothers meant a lot of time for sports, and I embraced the rivalrous environment by becoming a competitive cheerleader at four years old. I rocked poly blend sweater vests, pleated skirts and some seriously sparkly bows for an embarrassingly long time. I now embrace school sports spirit at the University of Florida and in much, much better outfits.
March Madness is always a great time of year. I find so much amusement in boys (and some girls) squabbling over brackets and trash talking their friends. To celebrate this time of year, it is important to dress with enthusiasm. Despite what my brothers might say, however, not all T-shirt and shorts are created equal.
Pairing a swamp tee with a cozy linen cardigan is the perfect way to dress the T-shirt up just enough. I wore my favorite J.Crew ballet flats in a bright orange with a bright blue cross-body bag — my favorite accessories in signature Gator colors. Finishing the outfit off with cut-off jean shorts keeps the look casual enough for a basketball game. A T-shirt with spirited accessories — not bulky Gator sweatpants — is the best way to be both comfortable and supportive.
My heart felt Kevin Ware’s pain when the Gators lost on Sunday, but nothing will ever make me stop being proud of UF. Since I transferred here this spring, I have learned that being a Florida Gator is an unconditional love. Here are my five favorite things about UF:
- The Swamp: What happens at Swamp, stays at Swamp.
- Football games: While I haven’t actually been at UF long enough to attend a football game, I am going to go out on a limb and say that UF does it better.
- Scooting: Everyone at UF rides mopeds around campus; which, coming from the North, is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen in real life. I believe they are death traps and refuse to ride one, but it is a priceless sight to be seen nonetheless.
- Club West: I usually don’t venture past the first floor Starbucks, but Club West (ahem, the library) is always a party.
- Sorority Row: The most beautiful spot on campus and where I have my own home-away-from home at Kappa Delta!