Maybe it’s because I’m rarely spotted without bold lipstick and haven’t worn a pair of sweatpants in public since 2010, but some people find it hard to believe that I was a basketball player in high school. I grew up in a family full of players (mom, dad, grandfather, great-grandmother), so I guess you can say the sport’s in my blood. I will admit, though, that I put my love for the game on the back burner when I got to university and schoolwork took over my life. But now that SU has made it to the Final Four, I’m showing off my pride in my school and the sport I love in style. Since I’m personally not one for jeans and sneakers, I paired my requisite Syracuse T-shirt with a faux leather skirt, tights and my signature Chelsea boots.
In honor of Cuse’s Final Four run, here are my top five favorite things at SU:
- Armory Square: A day of shopping downtown isn’t complete without a trip to Pastabilities for its famous hot tomato oil.
- Campus architecure: From the grandeur of the Hall of Languages (built in 1871) to the I.M. Pei-designed Newhouse 1, there’s something for everyone. Bonus: Crouse College looks exactly like Hogwarts.
- Student-run publications: Thanks to the breadth and variety of student-run publications on campus, there’s an outlet for every student writer, designer, artist and photographer to publish or display his or her work.
- Vegan milkshakes at Strong Hearts Cafe: I defy you to find a better milkshake—vegan or not—anywhere.
- Westcott Street: Catch a show at Westcott Theatre (The Stone Foxes, Dirty Projectors and Fitz and the Tantrums are all scheduled to play it in April), then tuck into a Mexican feast at Alto Cinco.