Yes, m’aam, it’s true. The football players aren’t the only competitors when it comes to game day in Columbia, SC. The Fashionistas/os also come out to play and give it their all when it comes to cheering on their Gamecocks and making sure they look great while doing it. Dressed to the nines, the crowd sings, “Here’s a health, Carolina, forever to thee!” But before the coin is even tossed to see who takes the opening kick-off, the pre-game warm ups are oh, so important.
Competition is tough off the field as Fashionistas/os head in throngs to those ever-so-famous SEC tailgate parties, looking fabulous and bringing their A-game. An ESPN Game Day anchor couldn’t have said it better: “…USC takes it to a whole new level. That football crowd is like something you would see in Vogue magazine.”
My style, like so many others, is ever-changing. It’s fun to look back and see the game day outfits I wore my freshman year and compare them to what I’m wearing to William-Brice Stadium nowadays. Freshman year, fitting in felt like it was key. Since I was just not the Lilly Pulitzer kind of girl (sorry Lilly), the always dependable ‘little black sundress’ paired with cowboy boots was the uniform. And if I wasn’t avoiding Lily, it was chevron pants. Bless their heart.
As a Fashionista, I love a variety of looks. For this game day I decided to wear a garnet and black floral dress with my favorite pair of trusty combat boots (tip: I bring my Lita’s or wedges to head downtown after the game). Edgy yet girly, this outfit really embodies my senior year’s style. I love cute black sundresses with a pair of cowboy boots, but this year I’m coming full circle, loving life and staying true to my style.
Here are my five tips for tailgating for any SEC school:
- This season we’ve been hit with unforgiving heat waves. Prepare your tailgate with some form of tent if you won’t be in any natural shade. Trust me, everyone will be much more willing to stay and enjoy the time if they can keep sweat from ruining their game day attire.
- Be prepared to arrive early to set up and stay late to clean up!
- Sunscreen, sunscreen and more sunscreen. No matter how cute your dress and satchel may look, there’s nothing worse than waking up the next morning with tan lines that will take weeks of Jergen’s Natural Glow to help it fade.
- Welcome the neighbors! Nothing’s better than the entire lot joining as one gigantic tailgate!
- Remember a game day playlist! The feeling everyone gets at University of South Carolina when “Wagon Wheel” begins to play is irreplaceable!
Y’all enjoy game day! Go Gamecocks!!
Have a great game day look or tip for tailgating? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!