Football season is in full swing here at Syracuse University, which means one major activity for its students: tailgating. Here at SU, it doesn’t matter if you have a ticket to the game (most people don’t). It has become a game day tradition to head down to Castle Court for some tailgating fun and then to Chuck’s for the remainder of the day, even for hours after the game is over.
Walk through the doors of Syracuse’s iconic Carrier Dome, and you’ll be pleasantly overwhelmed with the amount of orange that fills the stands. Although the classic orange Syracuse tee with “Real Fans Wear Orange” written on the back is a common game day go-to, I think it’s important to spice up your game day look and incorporate your personal style. With the cold weather quickly approaching, this is more than easy to do. I love pairing my game day vintage tee with a fun jacket and a great pair of jeans, and I always have layers, layers and more layers. Dressing for game day is a challenge because you definitely want to stand out in the sea of orange, but you don’t want to over do it. Keep in mind to have fun with your look and you’ll be ready to cheer on your team while still having a blast.
Here are my five tips for tailgating:
- As important as it is to look great, it’s just as crucial to dress comfortably. Chances are you’re going to be standing and moving around all day, so tuck the stilettos away. You can look just as great in a pair of flat boots or Converse sneakers.
- Don’t be afraid to show your school spirit! Game day is one of those times where no one will judge you for rocking head-to-toe orange.
- Add a little barbeque to the fun. College tailgates are often lacking in the food department, so serve up some hot dogs and hamburgers and you can’t go wrong.
- Accessorizing is key. Adding a stack of bracelets or a funky vest is a guaranteed way to grab anyone’s attention.
- Have fun! It’s an obvious tip, but it’s what the day is all about. Make sure you’re living up college game day the right way, and enjoy yourself. These are the days you will look back on and remember the most!
Have a great game day look or tip for tailgating? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!