There is nothing like a football Saturday at Penn State. We big ten schools tend do everything in a big way, so football season is like nothing you have ever seen before. The streets flood in by Thursday, filled with alumni of all ages, Penn State families and friends. Our campus and downtown overflows with Penn State fans, and everything in the stores sell out, from hamburger and hot dog essentials to game day apparel and accessories. The streets close off, and the madness begins.
With one of the best student sections in the country, your game day outfit has to be what we like to call Penn State proud. Yes, people get pretty wild with wigs, full body suits and face or body paint. Acres upon acres of fields around the stadium transform into tailgating cities. Instead of your typical Penn State shirt, there are many other ways to keep your game day outfit spirited and stylish. I like to keep things different on game day, whether it’s a old school inspired hat, overalls, a DIY tank top made from a big tee shirt or thigh high socks with an oversized crew neck.
I came across this vintage Penn State crew neck in a vintage shop on Brick Lane when I was on a trip to London. I saw it and fell in love and knew it would be perfect for a fall game. Vintage sports apparel is unique and, in my opinion, has much more fun and interesting graphics than the current stuff being sold downtown State College. You can find a bunch of vintage stuff such as snap back flat brim hats on eBay, Rag and Bone and, if you’re lucky, at thrift stores or Goodwill. I paired my sweatshirt with a black skater skirt and high top Converse for some added sportiness and comfort.
A fashionable, sporty look that is game day ready, WE ARE!
Here are five tips for tailgating:
- The tailgate fields can be quite the trek from the stadium; always opt for comfortable footwear, like Converse or ankle boots!
- Make friends with your neighboring tailgaters. You never know – they may have good food, really good food…
- Bring along some games, corn hole, can jam, whatever you want! It’s always fun to have something to cheer about before kick off.
- Take pictures! Happy Valley tailgates are like nowhere else, so show off on Instagram.
- If there is a tire swing, you should swing on it.
Have a great game day look or tip for tailgating? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!