In the days leading up to my departure for freshman year of college, I started an “Alphabet Days” event with my little sister. Each day, we would do something fun together that began with a different letter of the alphabet (ex: for A, we did Arts and Crafts, B was Bagels, etc.). For one of the letters, we were brought to the local mall where we spotted a small three-pound miniature Dachshund in one of the cages of the pet store. My sister and I went home and gushed to my mother about the adorable little pup and convinced her to scoop her up the very next day. We already had a cute pup named Jake at home – a Pug and Beagle mix (Puggle), and were hesitant to how he would react to being a big brother. Although rough at first, the two are inseparable (maybe to Jake’s chagrin), and together they are the dream team of cuteness.
The dogs and I may not be the most modelesque creatures, but what we lack in leggy qualities, we more than make up for in personality! Due to our short stature, finding the perfect proportions takes some careful calculations. I like to keep the volume on top, like with my thick, white scarf to help elongate my body. Layering is also a great way to do this, which, living in the Northeast, gives me the chance to do for six months out of the year! Chambray oxfords under gray open-weave sweaters all under a nice utility jacket is my winter wardrobe in a nutshell. Finally, always choosing shoes with a little heel is a no-brainer.
Some of my favorite things about my little pups include:
- Jake’s tail – curly like a Pug’s and long like a Beagle’s, it cracks me up every time I see it!
- Tootsie’s constant 95 degree body temperature makes for the most perfect snuggle partner of all time
- Tootsie may or may not have a more exemplary wardrobe than anyone I know, as evident by her C.Wonder sweater she is donning in this photo.
- Sometimes Tootsie allows my sister and I to tie her extraordinarily large ears in a ponytail on top of her head.
- The way they both cock their heads to the side if anything is said with any sort of inflection, as if they are saying, “huh?”
Do you have a fashionable pet? Share a photo on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!