This Fashionisto is a multi-talented teenager with his whole college career ahead of him. He has a style and a punctuality that is beyond his years as well as a creativity which drives him into fashion design, drawing and music (particularilly playing piano). I'd describe his style as classic intellectual artist meets punk rock rebellion.
CollegeFashionista: Are you looking into any colleges? Where and why? What would your major be?
Beau Toombs: I've had my eye on the same college for about five years now. My “American dream” takes place in California, and I've been planning to move there since I was about seven. I'm keeping my mind open as always, but I'm looking into California College of the Arts (CCA) in San Francisco for Fashion.
CF: What is your passion?
BT: I have multiple passions including music (piano), writing, fashion design, drawing, and tattoo art. they all seem to intertwine sometimes, and i hope to make the most of all my abilities no matter what i do.
CF: Explain your style.
BT: I have trouble describing my style, but I can tell you where I draw inspiration. James Dean, David Bowie, James Morrison, Marc Jacobs, Andy Warhol and Alexander McQueen are inarguably a heavy influence! I most appreciate timeless clothing items that remain iconic through the decades: leather jackets, blue jeans and gold chains will never die! However, I believe in innovation! I frequently read Vogue and keep up with the fashion collections of each season. My love of music is likely the largest influence on my attire. I love punk rock, and the punk scene has taught me to make my own clothes. I spend a lot of time studding, bleaching, cutting, safety-pinning and sewing patches on my garments; half of my closet is self-customized pieces.
CF: Do you own a favorite item? explain.
BT: My favorite thing to wear are the misfits vests in which I created myself; they're priceless to me. I spent my paychecks on studs and patches, and collected some from friends. I hand-painted the fiend skull and misfits logo on the back of my favorite one.
CF: Where are your favorite places to shop and why?
BT: 90% of my clothes are from a wide collection of thrift stores in Oklahoma and California. The other 10% come from Amercian Apparel, Urban Outfitters and Topman. However, My favorite place to shop is The Biker Shak; they sell a multitude of amazing leather and denim jackets and vests as well as biker patches, leather gloves, belts and bandanas. Its basically a biker's shopping paradise.
CF: What do you usually look for while thrifting?
BT: Typically when I'm thrifting, I look for quality vintage pieces that can handle some wear-and tear. Then I take it home and work my magic on it.
CF: Do you have any tattoos? Tell us about your tattoos. Are there any stories behind them?
BT: I have three tattoos at the moment, and I plan to continue adding to the collection. I have one on each side of my ribs, and one beneath my chest, above my stomach. My first tattoo lies on the left side of my rib cage; It began as the mewithoutYou quote, “A glass can only spill what it contains.” The message is obvious: I can't pretend to be something I'm not, the same way it's impossible for water to spill from a glass of wine. A month later, I added a skull as a symbol of rebirth because everyone has the chance to reinvent themselves despite their past. On the opposite side, I have a wolf with the quote “A gentleman is simply a patient wolf.” I have no idea where the quote is from, and it really doesn't matter. Personally, wolves are sacred because of what they symbolize. I'm the only one who knows what the wolf means to me and I plan to keep it that way.