As a single lady for Valentine’s Day this year, I will be celebrating like Donna from Parks and Recreation and using February 14th as a day to treat myself. To what, you may ask? A day in New York City indulging in my favorite treats and shops followed by a romantic comedy movie marathon of epic proportions. I will make all of the necessary stops in the city including Schmackary’s for the best cookies in the world, Bryant Park for some people watching and ice skating, the Strand to endlessly browse for new books and Opening Ceremony to find the coolest clothes around.
Since I’ll be celebrating my fabulous single self in the city, I will use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to look as great as I feel. I am dressing loosely in the vein of two of my fashion idols: Audrey Hepburn and Carrie Bradshaw. Audrey Hepburn was always classic, understood the power of a bun and often chose the color pink for her utterly timeless style. Carrie Bradshaw loved a full skirt, high heels and plenty of whimsy when it came to her amazing ensembles. These are two icons who have not only influenced my style, but my choice to be a strong, empowered, intelligent woman, so paying homage to them on Valentine’s Day just feels right. I’m doing this with a pink fit-and-flare ModCloth dress, polka-dot tights, a cozy black cardigan from Urban Outfitters, and some sweet, but sophisticated BCBGeneration Mary Jane pumps. I accessorized with subtle, but special pieces like my Madewell bow ring, Eden Hand Arts bracelets and of course, my Audrey pocket watch necklace.
Here are five fun alternatives to the regular Valentine’s Day routine:
- An epic John Hughes movie marathon, because nothing says love like having your birthday forgotten à la Sixteen Candles or not having a date to the prom à la Pretty in Pink.
- Have a bake-off with friends and award a prize to the sweetest treat. Then check out Pinterest for crafting ideas and make something together!
- Make a playlist to reflect your feelings. Are you feeling single and fabulous? Fill that list with Beyoncé and Katy Perry. Are you feeling down in the dumps? Make a playlist full of Adele, Ben Folds Five and Damien Rice.
- Go on a shopping spree. Treat yourself to a whole new look, with new threads, a new ‘do, and a great new attitude. Pretend you’re in a makeover montage like Pretty Woman, The Princess Diaries and Clueless.
- Who says you really need to acknowledge Valentine’s Day? Just have fun watching the Olympics and recognizing the amazing feats of athletics going on.
How are you celebrating Valentine’s Day? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!