I’ve never been a huge fan of Valentine’s Day, but I do have a love of anything pink, anything chocolate-covered and any romantic chick flick that comes my way. As a single gal in the city, I generally tend to avoid anything super cheesy when this lovey-dovey holiday rolls around. Instead, I look at it as a great excuse to celebrate with friends, dress up and drink cute pink cocktails.
Living in the heart of Toronto, I would describe my style as urban-chic and that definitely shows in my Valentine’s Day-inspired outfit. I’m wearing a pair of red pants, a black turtleneck and my newest obsession, this gorgeous white coat from Club Monaco. I chose my favorite pair of leather ankle boots for an edgier look. For accessories, I added a gold flower bib necklace, a vintage silver ring and a small pink side bag. As far as Valentine’s Day beauty goes, any outfit is incomplete without red lipstick, in my opinion. Even if you don’t normally wear lipstick, this is the day to give it a try. It’s fun and adds that extra pop of color, especially if you don’t have any red or pink clothing. Another option is red or pink nail polish.
This year, I’ll be spending Valentine’s Day with three of my best girlfriends. We’re planning on having dinner and drinks at our favorite restaurant downtown, Everest. We’re always guaranteed to have a good time there, with the chill atmosphere and cool people. We are definitely going to be wearing red and/or pink, and dessert will obviously be involved.
No boyfriend? No problem. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be overly romantic. Celebrate in these five ways instead:
- Go crazy at Bulk Barn, invite the girls over and spend time with the your on-screen boyfriends, thanks to Netflix—hello, Ryan Gosling and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
- Let out your inner Martha Stewart and get creative in the kitchen. Bake some heart-shaped treats or melt chocolate for a yummy fondue.
- Pamper yourself. Take a bubble bath, get a pink manicure, go for a massage, show yourself some love!
- Put together a playlist of all your favorite tunes to get you into the spirit.
- Sneak in some retail therapy. Might as well check out the Valentine’s Day sales, am I right?
How are you celebrating Valentine’s Day? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!