Valentine’s Day will forever go down as one of the most intimidating holidays in my book. If you’re in a relationship, you’re worried about the pressure of gift exchanges, and if you’re not, you’re suddenly aware of your singleness. Basically you can’t win, so you might as well make the most of it. I mean Valentine’s Day is a holiday to celebrate love after all!
Growing up I lived for the day I could write each of my classmates handmade Valentines. As I got older I realized that my friends and I needed a solid tradition, so freshman year of high school I started an annual Valentine’s Day tea party. Keeping the tradition alive, this year we’ll all be getting dressed up and hitting the town for a fancy feast! Who needs boys when you have your best friends?
Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to throw on something more delicate and everyone just understands. So I’m taking advantage of this romantic holiday and heading out in a bell sleeve dress. The lace detail and deep red complement each other seamlessly. Want to create a more edgy look? Add a statement accessory like this horn necklace to really make an impression.
Here are a few ideas so you can create your own traditions!
- Seriously—the tea party was a hit! Get all your closest friends together and dine like royals. I’m sure Lorde will appreciate it.
- Hang out with your best friends, Ben and Jerry! Maybe even throw in some Chinese food and a rom-com! These are always the best combos.
- Dare I say it? Hang out with the parental unit—free food and awkward conversations. What more can you ask for? It’s like a real date.
- Enjoy some cheap food out at a local restaurant with your friends and leave your number for the waiter on the receipt! A little spontaneity never killed anybody.
- Challenge yourself, and ask someone out on a date! I don’t think we girls do that enough, and it’s totally an excuse to try out the salsa dancing class downtown.
How are you celebrating Valentine’s Day? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!