Try as I might, I have just never seemed to understand Valentine’s Day. Between the life-size stuffed animals and frightening balloon bouquets, it’s safe to say that throughout the years I’ve found myself feeling a little lost, to say the least. Of course, that doesn’t mean I’m not a closeted romantic at heart. I love sporting heart-shaped nail art and swooning over Ryan Gosling films just as much as the next girl, but as for my V-day plans this year, I’m planning on leaving the traditional clichés behind (with the exception of chocolate, of course).
As much as my boyfriend and I love going out on the town for dinner, this year we have vowed to mix it up a bit and escape the crowds of lovebirds by having a quiet night in instead. Since my cooking skills don’t extend far beyond heating up Hot Pockets, I’m planning on surprising him with a heart-shaped pizza and an obscene amount of chocolate (let’s hope he’s not reading this). We’ll likely spend the evening curled up on the couch, exchanging Valentines and catching up on the latest episodes of American Horror Story
. So as for my outfit choice, I’m planning on leaning towards the more minimalistic side of the spectrum. For a comfy, yet V-day worthy look, I’ll likely be sporting a neoprene dress
, my beloved leather jacket
and my favorite cut-out ankle boots
Whether you’re spending this Valentine’s Day with your heart’s desire or your closest friends, here’s a couple of fresh and exciting ideas to consider (life-size stuffed animals not included):
- No plans? No worries! Invite your girlfriends over and spend your evening getting lost in Chuck Bass’ eyes. Who doesn’t love a Gossip Girl marathon?
- Tired of the typical mushy gushy dates? Grab your sweetheart and attempt to make homemade sushi instead.
- If endless junk food and reruns aren’t fulfilling your heart’s desire, call up your dearest friends and attend a nail art workshop!
- For a break from the stereotypical date night, snag tickets to an indie film screening and surprise your significant other.
- If you’re really not feeling the holiday this year, no worries! There’s no better way to celebrate all the love in the air than by showing a little TLC. Retail therapy, anyone?
How are you celebrating Valentine’s Day? Share it on social media using the hashtag #collegefashionista!